Based in Australia, Lorna Jane Activewear dips their toes in the Canadian market with a retail and showroom space in Gastown. The opening of their Water Street location has been a long-awaited expansion of the Lorna Jane brand which seems to be right at home in the yoga-pants capital of the world that is Vancouver.
I had an opportunity to ask Lorna a few questions about Lorna Jane Activewear over email:
1. I noticed on your website that there is a section on social responsibility and sourcing; why do you think it’s important as a brand to have this level of transparency with your customers?
Even though we’re a global brand, we still very much operate as a small family business. It’s really important for us to know where our product is being made, and more importantly, that it’s being made in safe and ethical working conditions. We have a great relationship with our manufacturing company in China, which is Australian owned and we visit regularly to oversee it all and make sure the safety and the standards are second to none. Our customers are our number one priority so we think it is important to be transparent and honest with them.
2. You have been credited for coining the phrase “activewear” decades ago. Since then activewear has become more widely accepted as “every day wear” even coining a new phrase “athleisure.” Has this shift changed the core collection that Lorna Jane produces shifting more towards lifestyle as opposed to athletic use?
All of our products are designed by active women, so we completely understand that women want their activewear to be functional but also fashionable and that’s the way we’ve always designed it. Every now and again we’ll release a limited-edition collection that might have a few more lifestyle pieces in it, but as a whole our activewear is versatile enough to be worn as both activewear and athleisure.
3. Which Lorna Jane product would you say is your brands’ superstar product? If you had to use only one product to introduce Lorna Jane to a potential new customer which product would it be and why?
I spent over a year developing this innovative fabric, which included 6 months of rigorous wear testing, to make sure that there’s absolutely zero transparency… even when you downward dog.
That’s an easy one! Our Nothing 2 See Here Tights. I spent over a year developing this innovative fabric, which included 6 months of rigorous wear testing, to make sure that there’s absolutely zero transparency… even when you downward dog. Trust me, I’ve seen more than my fair share of see through tight mishaps in yoga classes, so I decided enough was enough and put my mind to developing a fabric that would guarantee that this wouldn’t happen. Confidence is one of the most important things a woman should feel when she’s working out, and that’s exactly what our Nothing 2 See Here tights promise!
4. How is Lorna Jane Clarkson, reflected in the Lorna Jane brand? Where do you find that it’s the most evident that the brand is an extension of your own personality?
If I’m being completely honest, it’s hard to tell where Lorna Jane the person stops and Lorna Jane the brand starts! My brand honestly is an extension of my personality and as a role model to so many girls and women, I have a responsibility to always be 100% authentic and I take that very seriously in all aspects of what I do, whether it’s designing product, writing books or even posting a photo on social media.
5. Why did Vancouver seem like the best fit when entering the Canadian market? In terms of availability how can other Canadians learn more about Lorna Jane and Lorna Jane Activewear?
Canada is already such a huge hub for health, so naturally I thought it would be the perfect fit for the Lorna Jane Active Living Philosophy. Expanding into new countries has taught me so much about different ways people practice health and fitness and I can’t wait to learn more.
For more information please check out @lornajanecanada or visit their Gastown showroom at Suite 500, 321 Water Street British Columbia V6B 1B8 Canada.